It’s funny that you mention New Year’s Resolutions, because if you are in a couple then you are making resolutions not only to improve yourself, but also your relationship. When I originally suggested this, the BF said that every day is a chance to remake yourself and be the person you want to be, and that it was stupid to use something like New Year’s as an artificial starting point. Funny, he was right there with me at LA Fitness where we now have a co-membership. More on monogamous relationships and weight gain in the near future.
My independent resolution was to try and wear my contact lenses more often because my BF likes it. I have a tendency to wear my glasses because a) they are fabulous Versace frames, b) once you have sunk $400 between frames and lenses you’re determined to get your money’s worth, and c) because when I was in high school/college I wore the same pair of contacts for four years (not the same prescription, mind you, the same pair) and got a horrible protein infection. Ever since, my contacts give me the heebies after 4 or 5 hours so I tend not to wear them as much. So for those of you contact lens wearers out there, practice proper lens care. Nothing says sexy like not having a backup pair of glasses except for your ugly, out-of-prescription glasses that your mom told you were “tasteful” in middle school.
Here are some additional resolutions:
- Keep plugging away at school and graduate in May. Jesus God, I’ve been in school forever. The time has come to enter the “real world.”
- Put some freakin’ money in the savings account so you can pay for things occasionally. The BF has student loan payments, too.
- Get a kickass day job in the same city as the BF. This driving 300 miles/week is getting old (more to come on distance relationships).
- Go to the gym 4 days per week (Lance is deluding himself) and get down to pre-grad-school weight. The true goal here is to lose at least 5 lbs. by February and at that point hire a personal trainer (an expense I’ll be sharing with the BF). I want to have the stomach of a supermodel by the summer and reward myself with a new bikini and a Caribbean cruise after I graduate.
- Hey Lance, there’s an awesome World Famous Mud Run at Camp Pendleton, the Marine Corp. base in Oceanside/San Diego. I did it two years ago, had a blast, and am checking my calendar to see if I’m able to do it again this year.
- Fucking learn how to quit when I’m ahead when gambling. I was up over $600 at one point at the casino the other day and ended up down $130. Motherfucker.
What do you want to learn/do this year? When I was younger I made 10 resolutions and counted myself successful if I achieved 3. Now I try to only set goals that I’m motivated enough to work for, New Year’s or not.