Seriously? What was MSN thinking? See this column, entitled How To Date Like A Man, by Erin Dailey.
Dailey’s premise is that women should take charge and do the things that men do to get what they really want out of dating. She makes a lot of presumptions and, and while I’m all for generalizations in the world of blogging, I think Dailey has done a sloppy job of offering “advice” and trying to be funny. At least I think she’s going for humor. The thing that burns my scrotum is that her piece ran in Marie Claire AND on MSN Lifestyle, so probably tens of thousand, nay, hundreds of thousands of peeps read it. Oh no, I think I’m…yes, it’s coming…OMFG…I’m going to HURL…
Okay, break it down:
1. Own the Room – Hot, well dressed women who walk into a joint like they own it will definitely get the pick of the litter. Only problem is, most guy don’t do this!! Most guys at the bar dress like salesmen and act like wallflowers! So how is this dating like a man?
2. Eye Your Prey – Except that most guys don’t eye prey, because most guys don’t act like hunters.
3. Fake Interest – Why fake interest? Why not actually have interest? This is where Dailey starts to break down because she assumes that when guys flirt [in bars] they are always faking interest. Not true. We’re actually interested in meeting cool people, it’s just that most chicks we meet in bars are not actually interesting, so we have to fake it in order to get into your pants. Just be interesting. If you’re interesting, then we’ll do more than try to sleep with you.
4. Take Control – Not so much. I prefer classic chick game where I call the shots and she subtly nudges me in the right directions via subcommunications. I call this chick mind control and it works just fine. If she takes too much control, she runs the risk of flipping the polarity and evaporating tension. Bad advice.
5. Sex Is Always On The Menu – She’s right, we’re always thinking about sex, but who is she talking to here? If it’s her female audience, they’re going to violently disagree with the NSA sex thing. Chicks rarely want to throw it around. More bad advice.
6. Never Exchange All Your Information – Lame. Who actually doesn’t exchange digits and stuff if sex is imminent? I mean in real life, not the movies? I will tell you something. If both parties have done their jobs in the little flirting dance, you will exchange information, and it will be totally fine.
7. Because He Will Call You – WTF? You want the guy to call, remember? Does anyone actually use the flossing cat line? The author is being irrational.
8. Calling Is Optional – This is were Dailey really goes off the deep end. She says that even if the date is good and you want to date again, don’t call. Worst advice evar. Guys don’t think like this. We’re totally up for a followup, that is if you’re not a PSYCHO.
8. One-Night Stands Are Fun – One night stands are fun, they have a role, but this is sloppy. You absolutely can date and get into a LTR off a ONS. It happens all the time. Don’t make the ONS a habit, or you’ll get the clap. Again, her female audience is going to disagree, and generally speaking, this is impossible to execute unless you’re really skilled.
More crappy dating advice from MSN, weeee!
Photo credit Rate My Vomit.
If this post made you want to hurl, you may also want to hurl from reading these posts: