Apparently the universe is apologizing for my terrible weekend. First, the BF was able to verify with his supervisor that a) his company isn’t going to do any layoffs, and b) even if they were, his position wouldn’t be in jeopardy. Awesome! So he’s going to try for a little work/life balance and we’ll see how that goes.
Second, remember how I’d been trying to decide whether I should go back to school or take on some freelance work? Well, in this post I mention that I’d decided to go for the school thing, since (as DD tells me repeatedly) it’s a) a kickass opportunity to try something new and different, that is b) also super-cheap. I applied last week (after the pleasant surprise that employees don’t have to pay application fees) and am admitted – as soon as I can find the time for my previous university to send over my proof of MMR then I’m good to go!
Side note: it’s okay for me to WORK here, directly with the students, with no proof of MMR, but when it comes to taking classes – whoa! Somebody better make sure that girl had her shots! Um, what?
In any case, I’ve identified some potential courses for the fall and my backup (a women’s studies course in the same area as my diss) seems like it will work if none of the interesting communications courses open up. Then, lo and behold, I get an e-mail from a former sorority sister that works at a publishing house.
Apparently, this company that sometimes contracts work through them was looking for someone to develop an online course, and they were under a time crunch and coming up empty on someone with the necessary qualifications (a PhD in English/writing, experience taking & teaching online courses, experience working with adult learners). Well, in a fit of desperation he was looking through LinkedIn and came across my profile (I’m friends with 2 or 3 other folks who also work there, and I used to do contract work for them when I was getting my Master’s, so he saw my name come up multiple times).
She e-mailed me, I e-mailed him, and $2500 later, I am going to be flown to the East Coast for two days next week (all expenses paid in addition to the flat fee for the work). And he assures me that 2/3 of the work is going to take place while I’m there in person, with minimal follow-up before and after. SWEET!!!! Plus my name’s out there if any of the three publishing/educational companies that are involved with this project need anything else done.
Now the only question is whether to put it all toward my credit card or do something like a credit card payment of $1000, put $500 in savings (since taxes won’t be taken out), and do something utterly fantastic with the other $1000, like get myself a year’s membership to a yoga gym. What an absolutely delicious pickle, and all without having to choose between school and freelance work! I do think that since I’m out about $1200 for the year because of furlough, this windfall won’t affect the bottom line of my taxes too much, but it never hurts to be sure.
Networking/Game Lessons: put your name out there as many ways as you can, keep in touch with everyone, and be open to possibilities!
What would you do with the $$? I have about $4600 in savings, about $5800 in credit card debt, and no room in my regular monthly budget for anything that’s not a necessary expense. Leave your advice below, and then check out these also-upbeat posts: