Jake and I had an awesome anniversary dinner – the food was amazing, as was the ambiance of the restaurant (and the drinks! I had something called a Sunshine Sour made with grapefruit vodka, orange juice, and lemon juice, that was out of this world).
During dinner, Jake and I were talking about wedding locations. Then we were talking about rings, because Jake realized he had never worked that into his wedding timeline.
I said, “At some point I’ll have to figure out what size I am on that finger, because I honestly have no idea, and it would be horrible to get a beautiful ring I couldn’t wear.”
He said, “Well, we’re in the ritziest part of town right now, let’s go by a jeweler after dinner!”
So we went to Ben Bridge. Now, in the end we are going to get a “fake” ring (either moissanite or CZ) because 1) we can think of better things to spend several thousand dollars on than a ring (like a fantastic honeymoon!), and 2) we are both ethically opposed to diamonds. But just to get an idea of my size and what I liked as far as style, this was awesome.
For one, I was wearing a nice cocktail dress and Jake was wearing a suit. Instant cred. Then the jeweler, Sandy, asked Jake what he did – and when she found out he was an engineer, well, she was very willing to help us.
Then, to top it off, it turns out I am the display size! This meant I could try on every ring in the store – and I almost did. Even the huge ones we could never afford and that weren’t even my style. It was awesome. Jake took copious notes.
In the end, he is probably going to get a ring along the lines of the ones I have already mentioned, but he now he knows enough to buy it himself. We picked out a bunch of rings online that I like, and he’s perusing the various websites so he can set a budget and start saving.
It’s blowing my mind a little bit that this is all actually happening. This is what we’ve decided so far:
- We’ve picked the date – May 12, 2012.
- We’ve looked online for possible locations and have gotten a first round of eight or so. He has the links and is going to forward them to me to narrow them down to three. Then we’re going to visit them all, and put a deposit down sometime in the next month or so.
- On David Mott’s advice, Jake is going to pick the cake.
- The wedding favors are going to be M&Ms with our initials (When I first met Jake on MySpace, I blogged about him on my blog there using his initial, to protect his privacy. Since then, we have been referring to ourselves as a couple using our initials for years. This is an ongoing inside joke that all our close friends know about).
- We’ve looked at rings and discussed a budget and style.
- We sometimes watch Say Yes to the Dress together, and find that we are pretty compatible in our tastes for a dress. In the end, I’ll probably go to Mexico to get my dress because you can get something twice as nice for less than half the cost there, but it’s good to get the ideas flowing.
Since we are 2 years out and not even engaged yet, we are feeling pretty good about things at the moment. Upon further investigation Jake has decided that the job market’s too terrible to do a job search outside the state anytime soon, so we’re pretty much figuring that we’ll stay in Phoenix for another couple of years, at least until after the wedding and until Jake pays off his credit cards (target date for payoff: November 2012).
Any wedding suggestions/advice, those of you out there who’ve been married before?
Have a great weekend, everyone!