Today is three and a half years since Jake and I met. Things are going great! I don’t have much to add, so I am throwing in a recent e-mail exchange. Enjoy!
You made me so happy this morning when you said that I was the best thing in your life. I try really hard for that to be the case (even though like I said in my card earlier this week I feel like I fail a lot). [Note: I'd gotten him a card and a bottle of wine for being patient and covering some expenses for me until my freelance check came in.] I think you deserveand I think that relationships don’t just stay great – you have to try, even if you’ve been together for years.
So, I thought it would be fun to list 5 things that you would like to do to improve our relationship – even though things are going great, I don’t ever want to take you for granted. Here are the categories:
- Fun, lighthearted thing
- Serious thing
- Sexy thing
- Adventurous thing
- Long-term thing (like a plan)
I will think about this, too – both the things that I think you would like me to do and the things that I would like you to do. Here is some of what I’m thinking. #1, set aside $150 to play craps in Vegas – on the first or second day. #4, go shooting with you (I’ll go with you this time in Vegas but if you want to go out to the desert sometime before then then I am game!), #5, retire early – in Amsterdam!
You do not fail a lot. You are almost unwaveringly happy and fun, even when I’m being grouchy. I’m constantly amazed that I don’t get you down. But I like the way things are going, so as long as you’re happy, I’m happy!
I think this is a good idea. I will think about it some more, but off the top of my head I will suggest the following:
- Fun, lighthearted thing – paddle boats on Tempe Town Lake !
- Serious thing – Wanna go shooting with me? [Note: the arrangements for this have been made! I'm learning to shoot this weekend.]
- Sexy thing – try amyl nitrate? Strip clubs? Rent some porn?
- Adventurous thing – go to the Burning Man festival! (or any of the following: hiking; travel to see one of Arizona ‘s natural attractions; white water rafting)
- Long-term thing (like a plan) – maybe we can plan a cruise trip for 1-2 years out? Or a trip back to Amsterdam for next summer? (I like your Amsterdam idea!)
I’ve been thinking about it, and here are my things:
- Fun, lighthearted thing – set an official boardgame night once a week or month with each other (no TV)
- Serious thing – open a joint bank account to start saving for mutual goals (like a wedding, a move to another state, etc.)
- Sexy thing – use the toys/games/accessories we already have to spice things up
- Adventurous thing – train for a triathalon together, do the World Famous Mud Run at Camp Pendleton together, go to Gatlinburg TN (I’ve been before, and it’s gorgeous)
- Long-term thing (like a plan) – go vegan, at least at home (I go back and forth on this one); always be proactive in improving our relationship and talking to each other about how we are doing (in relation to each other but also work, etc. – doing stuff like this is I think one way).
I can’t wait for you to get home – love you, baby!
If you enjoyed this post about a lover’s game, you might also enjoy: